12.02.2008

Hershey's Chocolate Chip Raspberry Bars

1 1/2 cps flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter/marg.
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup raspberry jam
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (Ghirardelli are my fav.)

1. Oven to 400; grease 13x9 baking pan.

2. Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender till resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg, milk, and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer til well blended. The batter will be pretty sticky.

3. Reserve 1/2 cup of mixture for topping. Spread remaining mixture onto bottom of prepared pan--it will be a very thin layer. Spread jam evenly over batter; sprinkle chocolate chips over top. Drop reserved batter by 1/2 teaspoons over chips.

4. Bake 25 minutes till golden brown and jam is nice and bubbly. Eat warm or cool.

I didn't know how I'd like this one just because I've always thought jam had one place in this world...and that was on bread. After the first bite, I still wasn't sure. But then I took another...and another...and was hooked. I cut them up and gave half to my visiting teachies and I ate the other half of the pan all by myself. (Don't go calling Richard Simmons...It took me a few days.). Personally, I like them warm. I'd heat them up before eating with a cold glass of milk.

I also decided it would be good with chunkless strawberry jam. And the actual recipe calls for 3/4 cup of jam...but I found that to be a little much. So do what you want. The cake/biscuity part of these was really good--very moist and perfectly sweet.

Oh...and this may be one instance where it's okay to use milk chocolate chips...if you so feel inclined.

9 comments:

  1. That looks...fruity.

    And it looks like pie/crumble goodness. Mmmm, pie.

    I don't care what it is, I want it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait. Now I'm dying for a dessert to eat!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dunno...it looks iffy...I have a hard time when you mix chocolate with a fruit. It is a crime against nature. Don't get me started on chocolate covered strawberries...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm is it plum cobbler? I do adore a good plum cobbler!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok. I want the recipe. I also want your sugar cookie recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fruit WANTS to be with chocolate.

    It MUST be with chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh My Oh MY! That looks Fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, I registered on foodgawker, how do I get the recipes? I don't have your computer savey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't go calling Richard Simmons..your're hilarious! We'll have to try them soon :)

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say something nice, say it behind my back.