8.08.2008

Just Finished

Okay, so I know all the hype is about Breaking Dawn right now, but this happens to be the book I've been reading. So that's what I'm gonna talk about.

First off, if you ever read this book, forget that Stephenie Meyer wrote it or your mind will go straight to comparing it to the Twilight series and your expectations will be letdown. (At least that's how I was in the beginning.) The Host is nothing like Twilight except that there's a love triangle...well, square.

It takes place on earth after "aliens" (souls) have taken over all the humans' bodies. It's about one of those souls, Wanderer, and her body host, Melanie, that doesn't want to be taken over. They go in search for Melanie's love muffin and little brother.

That's the beginning. I can't tell you about the rest cuz I'd ruin things. What I can say, is that it is nothing how you would think. Most of the story takes place in a place that you wouldn't ever think and things happen that you wouldn't think of in a body-snatcher kind of story.

It started off slow. Very slow. I was expecting to be engaged from page one...Twilight hooked me early, and since it's written by the same author, I thought this one should too. It didn't really happen for 100 pages or so. It took me four months to get through it. Where as, Twilight was one of those have-to-get-through-it-as-quick-as-possible-to-
find-out-what-happens-next-and-you-are-hypnotized-by-the-main-man...The Host was more of a chilled pace. I didn't HAVE to read it all at once. I looked forward to reading it a couple times a week. It's also longer than the Twilight...more story to cover. That could be another reason it took a while longer to read.

It also ends in a cliffhanger. Not an obnoxious, "WHAT HAPPENS!!!!!???? I'M GOING TO DIE IF I DON'T FIND OUT NOW!!!!!!" cliffhanger...but a nice, "Oh, good! I'm glad that happened. I wonder what their next adventure will be now that THAT happened!" Like, I don't feel like I'm going to go nuts if I have to wait a year till the sequel comes out, but I still feel like I've been taken care of and given closure if I decide to never read the sequel, (which I DO plan on doing).

I give it two thumbs up. It was a good read. And thankfully, my motherly duties didn't have to suffer because of it.

Now, I'm off to watch the opening ceremonies of the Olympics.

5 comments:

  1. I feel like I have been waiting forever to hear your opinion on the book!! I am torn... I can't decide if I want to read it!! But thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh, Heather, just read it. It's as good as any other.

    And Jeremy...WE'RE the freaks?! I would like to bring into evidence, exhibit A--the little icon just to right of your name.

    I win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy I know this is going to be hard to swallow but Stephenie Meyer isn't going to make the Host a series. Just the one and only book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought she just didn't know yet.

    Oh well, like I said, I could take it or leave it.

    I'll be looking more forward to Midnight Sun!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say something nice, say it behind my back.